A good painting job will make your home come alive. At times renovators and decorators can experience some trying times while the paint work is in progress. However all the tears will turn to joy when the job is done. Finally, we can offer some simple precautions and small steps to ensure that your walls will maintain their sparkle and shine for much longer that you every anticipated.
- Modern wall paints are acrylic or more commly know as water based paints and that means these paints are washable. Therefore the walls (interior/exterior/ can be periodically cleaned with a mild soap and water solution.
- Cleaning can be done at least 2 weeks after application of finished coat for removing the dust collected on the surface.
- Special attention should be given to high traffic areas like hallway passages, kitchens, children’s rooms and doors.
- Every month or so keep a day aside to clean the walls. Use a sponge and mild soap solution and lightly scrub the areas that have stains. Heavy scrubbing may result in permanent damage to paint film.
- In case of severe staining (like spilled food) clean the walls immediately before the stain dries up.
- Children’s rooms are likely to get dirty far more quickly than the rest of the house. Hence it is advisable to get a single coat of paint done every two years or so. However one must ensure a mild sanding of the surface with emery paper 400 for making the surface conducive for fresh paint application.
- Check your walls periodically for signs of paint flaking or peeling. This could be the first signs of water leakage or seepage problems. The moment such problems are noticed, get a contractor to look at the problem area. If the problem is localized (only occurring in specific areas) and the source of water seepage is detected, have it rectified immediately to prevent water seepage to spread further. This might mean repainting of one or two walls. Ignoring the problem however will aggravate the matter and will turn out to be much more expensive later.
- The enamel paint on the doors and windows exposed to sunlight loses its gloss over time. It is a good practice to apply a single coat every two years to keep them looking fresh. However one must ensure a mild sanding of the surface with emery paper 400 for making the surface conducive for fresh paint application.